Monday 18 December 2017

Friends


During the past few years, in fact, I would say, heading towards 15 years I have suffered a rise in my depression (if that isn't a contradiction in terms!) The severity of it all is enhanced to a great extent by violence. I am not a violent person but I am sensitive to it inasmuch as I don't like to see it, hear it, feel it, hear about it, anything really. Almost 15 years ago I was attacked and beaten by two people that were just up for a ruck and they gave me a pretty good hiding. It was a completely unprovoked random attack but it left me feeling pretty awful. It was subsequent to that that I had a nervous breakdown of sorts. Since then I have been treated for depression and other nervous illness that may have been related to events from much earlier in my life but also including adulthood.

The old saying "Friends come and friends go" is true of course but you live and learn about people, as well as yourself, and times and places change. Since the rise of "social networking" websites there have been many opportunities to rekindle old friendships and also make new ones. Some sites make it possible to become a "friend" of a total stranger. I am no exception - we are living in a digital age and I have what I would call genuine friends that I have never met. We came into contact owing to shared interests. We have exchanged numerous messages via email and other kings of messaging and even made gifts of things to eachother. I enjoy communicating with them.

In the days before "social networking" sites became popular there were BBS's, these were interesting owing to the fact that much of the activity took place locally and it was not uncommon for BBS users to meet up face to face. Once the internet became as ubiquitous as the telephone (for many) evolved various things such as "chat rooms", "fan forums" (of all kinds) became commonplace. These have to a large extent been superceded by what is commonly referred to today as "social networking" websites. I have already pointed out some advantages and useful features to such sites, there are of course downsides.

In the insulated security (such as it is) of one's computer world online we reveal much about ourselves unintentionally. Phone technology has developed to the point where our movements are recorded. Online we display our likes, dislikes, opinions, views - a complete profile really. This data is then used in turn to custom build advertisements for us. It is also used in other ways, notably for security reasons. It all goes with the territory. Terms and conditions apply, as they say.

The title of this post is about "friends", real and online. Many of us feel that everything is fine and that all is well but it has been my experience that some "friends" are not that. I have had "friend" requests on a popular social networking site  from some folks that I don't even know. Other times some folks that I DO know have requested me but these are people that cannot even say hello on the street. A**holes! Their motivation is far from friendly. I can do without them. If you can do without similarly inclined folks then get out the pruning shears!!!

(I started this post quite a while back but I just wrapped it up for now. My rant on that front is over, for now).